News Details

Indy 500 purse halved as pandemic forces austerity

In a shocking but understandable head slap of reality, the 2020 Indianapolis 500 purse has been cut in half. Roger Penske told the car owners earlier this week that instead of $15 million, the Aug. 23 payout would be $7 million in the face of the pandemic that has crippled the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's ability to make any money. With no fans allowed, there are no ticket sales and that alone takes away a minimum of $20m. Penske, who purchased IMS and the IndyCar series last January, had previously announced he was adding two million for this year's race to increase the purse from $13 million to $15m before the COVID-19 virus started shutting down businesses and wrecking the economy....
Full Story »
Share

You May Also Be Interested In...

Indianapolis 500 to be held without fans for 104th...

The Indianapolis 500 will be held behind closed doors for the first time...
-1mo from AutoSport.com

2020 Indianapolis 500 to be held behind closed doors

The 104th running of the Indianapolis 500 will take place behind closed...

Final-hour negotiating to fill 33-car Indy 500 field

With the 104th running of the Indianapolis 500 set to go forward on...
-1mo from Racer.com

'It killed us, but it was the right thing to do'...

Roger Penske said it was one of the toughest decisions he's ever had to...
-1mo from Racer.com

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

2015 IndyCarToday.com
IndyCarToday.com is not responsible for the news headlines and associated descriptions and images it indexes, the content of externally linked sites or the comments & postings of its users.

This website is unofficial and is not associated in any way with IndyCar.